A few weeks ago, my blog buddy Alicia asked if I could do a pumpkin version of my cheesecake-stuffed Golden Girls cookies. And then Mumma got wind of these and asked for them as well. How could I say no?
Here you go, Alicia and Mumma! This is the perfect cookie for November because it combines two of the most popular Thanksgiving desserts: pumpkin pie and cheesecake. Yes, they're rich and decadent, but they're perfectly sized for portion control. (Or not!)
Stuffing the cookies is a labor-intensive process, but it's well worth the effort. These pumpkin cheesecake-stuffed cookies taste amazing and will definitely wow your holiday guests.
Makes 2 dozen cookies. (To see this recipe in process, check out Picturing Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookies.)
6 ounces room-temperature cream cheese
1/3 cup canned pumpkin pie filling
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup canned pumpkin pie filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups oatmeal
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the filling ingredients to a medium bowl and mix well. Let the mixture cool and solidify in the refrigerator until step 7.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In your Kitchen Aid or a large mixing bowl, cream together the creamables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and then add to the creamables. Mix together until smooth.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold together until evenly distributed. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamables and wet ingredients. Mix until evenly combined.
- Shape dough into balls—about 2 tablespoons each.
- Remove the filling mixture from the refrigerator and stuff each dough ball with 1 teaspoon of the mixture. Put the stuffed dough balls in the freezer for five minutes to firm up.
- Place chilled dough balls about 2 inches apart on Silpat- or parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes. Then place cookies on wire racks to cool.