The original includes a bunch of salty stuff and a bunch of sweet stuff: potato chips and pretzels combined with used coffee grounds, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and graham crumbs.
My version adds Fritos to the mix, replaces the butterscotch chips with peanut butter chips, and omits the graham crumbs because I thought they muddied the sweet/salt balance.
Another difference between the original and my version is the texture. Usually, I like my cookies chewy, but I the potato chips, pretzels, and Fritos got me in a crispy cookie mood. To make these cookies crispy, I added more butter, decreased the amount of dark brown sugar, and added white sugar.
Makes 3 dozen cookies. (To see this recipe in process, check out Picturing Copycat Momofuku Compost Cookies.)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In your Kitchen Aid or a large mixing bowl, cream together the creamables.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the combined wet ingredients to the creamables. Mix together until well incorporated.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold together until evenly distributed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the combined creamables and wet ingredients. Mix until evenly combined.
- Shape dough into balls--about 2 tablespoons each.
- Place dough balls about 2 inches apart on Silpat- or parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes. Then place cookies on wire racks to cool.